Ready for a Cali Road Trip …. Take the classic Highway 1 from San Diego to San Francisco.
In San Diego County make a stop at La Jolla
La Jolla is a beautiful hilly seaside area by San Diego. It has the most scenic hike by the beach at Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve. The hikes are easy and it gives you an amazing view of the Pacific Coast. You also need to stop at the Sunny Jim Sea Cave. Take the 145 stairs down to admire the cave and the view of the ocean. Then head to La Jolla Cove beach to admire the Sea Lions.
- Start your day at Crystal Cove State Park where you can hike and relax at the beach. The Palm Shaded Path at Heisler Park is the perfect hiking trail during hot summer days. You should grab breakfast or have Fish Taco at lunch at the beachcombers, the beachfront restaurant.
- Spend a day at Balboa Island. Take the Ferry to Balboa Island. Wander around, enjoy the scenery and don’t forget to have a chocolate covered banana at Dad’s.
- Walk on Balboa Pier located at Balboa Peninsula. Have Lunch at The Landing Restaurant; they have a great waterfront dining balcony.
- At night, try one of those Bars:
- Make a detour and go to Laguna Beach. The great beach and the small old town full of cafes, restaurants, and bars make it one of the best places to celebrate special occasions.
- Stop by Long Beach. The Main Street, with its cafes and small stores, mixes shopping and relaxing.
In Los Angeles, stop at Venice Beach and Santa Monica. Venice Beach is a must people watch stop with its muscle beach gym, skate park and its beachside walk full of shops and artists. The Venice sign on Pacific Ave and Windward Ave marks the separation between the beach and the streets that are full of, mostly French, restaurants; especially on Abbot Kinney Ave. Santa Monica Pier is a great family-friendly place with its wheel that stands at the end of the Pier. You can also do some serious shopping on 3rd street.
Between LA and Carmel, stop at Santa Barbara, Hearst Castle, and Big Sur
Santa Barbara is the perfect combination of beach, shopping, and wine tasting
Hearst Castle, William Randolph’s Castle is a must stop. The highlight of the tour is the amazing outdoor pool.
Big Sur is one of the most romantic cities in the US.
Monterey Peninsula: Carmel and the 17-mile drive
Carmel-by-the-Sea is a small beach city in northern California on the Monterrey Peninsula. It is known to be one of the most beautiful small towns in the US with its small shops and art galleries. It is also the closest town to the 17-Mile Drive. The 17- Mile Drive route with its many lookout stops will show you amazing scenic natural treasures. This leisurely road winds its way through some famous beauty stops like the luxurious Pebble Beach, The Lone Cypress, The Point Lobos State Reserve or Point Joe.
San Mateo County: Half Moon Bay
Small beach town to enjoy the beach and a walk along that beautiful Pacific Coast.Be Aware, you will encounter a witch house on your walk along the Coast!
It has a beautiful Pier for some paddling or just relax.
San Francisco: Top 10 things to do
- Union Square for Shopping and China Town
- Fisherman’s Wharf, Pier 39, and Ghirardelli Square
- Golden Gate Bridge and Park
- Lombard Street
- Sausalito for Lunch
- Haight & Ashbury for Vintage Shops
- Mission District and Dolores Park
- Ride the Cable Cars
- Admire the Colorful Buildings: The Painted Ladies